Monday, August 10, 2009

Last day in La Serena


We are wrapping up our time in La Serena and getting ready to head off to Valle de Elqui, which is about a 2 hour scenic bus ride heading east towards the Andes. We are looking forward to seeing nature a bit more. La Serena can be a little sketch at night so we have been visiting more open air places...aka the mall, haha. Actually we did have an encounter with nature this morning when a poisonous spider walked across the floor next to our bare feet...luckily I had a shoe nearby and was able to fearlessly (not so much....) squash it into the carpet. Chile has two very poisonous spiders that can kill if one is not careful, this one was an araña rincon, and even though it was a baby Pedro told me that it still had the capacity to do some serious damage if it bit one of us. I am a bit more paranoid now after looking up info on google but it is good be to aware of the consequences to take the measures to lessen the chances. I actually have already killed an araña rincon in the shower in my current house in Valdivia. My house is not an exception, the spiders are everywhere all throughout Chile unfortunately...Oh well, the key is not to disturb them, and shake clothing off before putting it on. Although, now that I that I think about it those two tips seem a bit contradictory....hmm. Ok, I am going to look up some more info about La Serena since I have been googling spider bites while Pedro is working on his thesis charts to not get behind...my defense is that technically I am on summer vacation. Alright that is it for now, and hopefully the next time I will remember to bring the cable up upload some of my pics =)

No comments:

Post a Comment